If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life, to repress their personality. That's not living. It's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.
-- GRACE JONES--

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

iListen 2 Tuesdays: PJ Morton*Lalah Hathaway

New Orleans, LA native, PJ Morton is definitely one of music's most promising artists to be on the lookout for in early 2009. He's been making his mark for quite some time now on the smaller, more intimate scene....but I'm sure his 2009 project will put him in the race with contenders such as John Legend, Musiq Soulchild and Raphael Saadiq.


PJ Morton describes his music as “feel good music that lyrically tells stories about life and love…music that makes your heart think. He coins his style of music, ‘soulful pop’.” This 27-year old musical prodigy is indubitably a “true” seasoned musician who has garnered a reputation for writing and producing warm, heart-felt, and infectious songs that engage the heart. His humble, yet aggressive spirit, along with his prolific musical talents has afforded him with many opportunities to “fall” comfortably into the music industry.


Having influences that range from Stevie Wonder to James Taylor, PJ reminisces on his childhood. “When I was younger, my mother would put on the Beatles and explain the songs … it made me focus on the writers. I’ve never been drawn to one style of music; it’s always been about the songwriters. That’s why Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Sting and James Taylor touched me so … because of the songs.”
Because of the uniqueness of PJ’s music, one cannot place him in one specific category. He says it best by stating, “Whatever genre you can stick Stevie Wonder or Sting in ….I’ll take that!” He has the necessary ingredients it takes to break new ground….to be a trailblazer! Without so much as a second thought, he will raise the bar in the industry! If one had to use one word to describe him, it would be FREE, because he does not worry about much. In his own words, PJ sums it up, “I just keep moving, because I know that it’s not my fight anyway. So, I just do what I do and let God do the rest!!!”


You Can Check Out Morton's Sound Below:



One listen to anything Lalah Hathaway has recorded since her self-titled debut in 1990, and you can immediately expect to be swept away with sensational soul with lyrics that seem to invade on anything you have ever written or said/thought in secret.
Born to one of the most influential soul artists of the 70s, Donny Hathaway, Lalah does not disappoint!Although she has created a space for herself, it’s not surprising that Hathaway remains connected to her late, great father and his classic sound. “I am his daughter,” she says, softly, “and that’s the truth of who I am, every day. When I was 15, and then, 20, I didn’t get why people were asking me how I felt about him and his music. But when I turned 25, I began to understand. Like my father, I want to leave a legacy of music that makes people really feel something, whether it be happiness, sadness, grief or heartache. I also want them to appreciate my humor which I know can be difficult to interpret in a song.”
Hathaway's newest project is out now! And showcases some of Hathaway's best work thus far.Working with longtime collaborators (including singer/songwriters Rahsaan Patterson, Sandra St. Victor) and newcomers (Snoop Dogg producer Terrace Martin), Hathaway presents her most personal —and stunning—project to date. She colorfully evokes her childhood on "Little Girl," paying homage to her dad with a heart-tugging excerpt from one of his earlier interviews. Elsewhere, she brings her natural talent for phrasing and pouring a well of emotion into telling lyrics on such tracks as "Breathe" iListen Now and "Learning to Swim" iListen Now


---
It's so refreshing that there are still younger artists making music from their soul; music that is organic in respect to what the artists stands for, the vision they see. When you do that, I feel you can't go wrong-- plus you don't have to worry about shocking the media too much when later you want to finally "come into your own"

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Pennies] 4 Ur Thoughtz